Mission of ODIEX
The Pursuit of Excellence through Diversity and Inclusiveness
The University of Arizona Office for Diversity and Inclusive Excellence (ODIEX) is the hub and champion for Inclusive Excellence. ODIEX staff members are advocates, promoters, consultants, co-sponsors, allies, and trainers for the implementation of Inclusive Excellence. Moreover, the Office supports administrators, students, staff, faculty, alumni, departments, and Tucson community groups in harnessing the benefits of diversity with the objective of educating students to be leaders in a diverse society. To accomplish this will require an inclusive campus that allows everyone to use their multicultural talents to make contributions to the academic, research, service, and teaching mission of the U of A. Inclusive Excellence adheres to a broad and comprehensive definition of diversity including gender identity, gender expression, race/ethnicity, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, religion, disability, veteran’s status, first-generation status, nationality, citizenship, age and other social identity dimensions that are a critical part of the U of A community.
In order to advance and support the University of Arizona’s pursuit of Inclusive Excellence, ODIEX maintains the following goals:
- Consulting with and supporting administrators, staff, faculty, students, units, schools, offices, and departments in implementing Inclusive Excellence by embedding diversity and inclusiveness into all aspects of each entity.
- Maximizing the benefits of diversity and achieving educational outcomes related to leadership in a diverse society by mining the gifts, talents, cultures, and worldviews possessed by diverse groups via the promotion of interaction among and between individuals and groups.
- Collaborating with the campus community in fostering and maintaining a positive and vibrant campus climate for inclusiveness.
- Support marginalized communities to improve their experiences and success.
- Collaborating with Tucson, state, and national communities to advance diversity and inclusiveness at the University of Arizona.
- Capacity-building via education and training about Inclusive Excellence, social justice, diversity in the classroom, social identities, diversifying the faculty, intergroup relations, microaggressions, implicit bias, and campus diversity.
- Insuring that all sectors of the U of A including individuals, groups, and communities are engaged in diversity and inclusiveness.
Structural institutional cultural transformation is at the heart of Inclusive Excellence ensuring that both diversity and inclusiveness are ubiquitous values that permeate the entire institution. Embedding diversity and inclusiveness into the structure and processes of the University of Arizona will lead to long term permanent change that will benefit every single person and group.
The Office for Diversity and Inclusive Excellence is one catalyst for change, but everyone is expected to make a contribution to the transformation of the University of Arizona.
Inclusive Excellence is about honoring and accepting both diversity and inclusiveness. ODIEX supports the recruitment of underrepresented and diverse populations and works into all aspects of U of A. Students, staff, faculty, and administrators from diverse groups possess a myriad of gifts, talents, experiences, and cultures that allow them to make valuable contributions to the institution’s educational mission of preparing students for living and working in an increasingly complex and global society. Here, it is important to be attentive to marginalized communities and their experiences and perceptions of the campus climate for diversity and inclusiveness.
In sum, diversity is an asset that offers tremendous benefits that can be employed to fulfill the educational mission of the university. To accomplish this will require that all feel welcomed, accepted, and validated.