CIELO Puerto Rico: Culture, History, & People program will take place from January 2-11, 2022 during UArizona's winter break.
- Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory with its own unique culture and environment. Experience Puerto Rican culture through food, art and dance while also exploring the natural wonders like hiking in El Yunque National Rainforest and going on a late night Bioluminescent Kayak tour. Become more informed about the political situation in Puerto Rico by visiting La Fortaleza, meeting with the Governor and participating in Service Learning projects.
- The Puerto Rico program offers students from the University of Arizona a unique opportunity to experience and learn about Puerto Rico in a firsthand way. Participants will engage with Puerto Rican history, culture, and government through service learning, community/cultural engagement, dialogue, and reflection.
- Dates: January 2-11, 2022
- Cost: approximately $3,000 (Includes flight, activities, hotel & travel insurance)
- Program Themes: Service learning projects, community & cultural engagement
- Engage with Governor and university students to learn about Government of Puerto Rico
- Visit El Yunque National Rainforest, La Fortaleza, Museo D'Art Puerto Rico, Loiza
- Guided walking tour of San Juan
- Mofongo cooking class and Salsa class
- Service learning with local students
- Hiking at El Yunque National Rainforest
- Visit to La Fortaleza, meeting with Governor
- Visit to Museo D'Art Puerto Rico
- Walking tour of Ponce
- Bioluminescent Kayak Tour
- Visit Yauco-Street Art
- Guavate and Ruta del Lechón cultural experience
- Visit Loiza & Taino History and Culture
- October 22,2021: APPLICATIONS DUE BY 4:00 PM (Applications are now closed)
- November 3, 2021: FIRST DOWN PAYMENT DUE $1500
- November 15,2021: FINAL PAYMENT DUE $1500